Monday, July 18, 2011

Cherry and Banana Puree


You must be thinking “you’ve posted like 27 pattie recipes, we haven’t seen a puree in forever, you should call this blog mybabyonlyeatspatties.com” To that I have to say, pattie making is a great way to combine a whole lotta good ingredients in a portion controlled freezer friendly way. I still whip up purees when I want my baby to get certain nutrients from foods or for his breakfast oatmeal. Just yesterday, I saw beautiful cherries in the market and instantly thought, puree.
Cherries aren’t only for cocktails and pies, they are a super fruit and we need to take them more seriously dammit! Here’s a mind-blowing fact, cherries contain 19 times more beta carotene than blueberries or strawberries. They have one of the highest levels of disease fighting antioxidants compared to other fruits, major vitamin C, potassium, iron, magnesium and folate. I’m impressed cherries, very impressed. Another interesting fact that I did not know until 2 seconds ago was that cherries contain melatonin…y’know, the natural sleep aid. Great for demonic babies who won’t nap.
Cherry and Banana puree
24 cherries
1 Banana

1.     Boil the cherries for a few minutes (I lost track of time)
2.     Let cool and squeeze the pits out.
3.     Peel the banana
4.     Combine and puree.
5.     Splash of breastmilk or formula if you find it too thick.



Makes 6-8 servings. Delicious with oatmeal for breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! I just whipped up a batch of the cherry banana purée and added a pinch of vanilla. I can't wait for my baby girl to try it!

    ReplyDelete