Monday, July 11, 2011

Not Yo Mommas Lentil Soup

Ok maybe it is, because its really really simple and hearty.
I found this recipe in a book called Top 100 baby purees. They have some great recipes. I usually modify every recipe but this one was so simple, all I added was some garlic. You can spice it up with cumin, oregano, curry powder...whatever you think your baby and you would like.
I usually use homemade chicken stock but being away from home and having limited time I had to use the next best thing. Organic vegetable stock. The taste was a little intense so I balanced it out with the same amount of water. 
I love this recipe, you get the protein and iron from the lentils, carbs from the sweet potato and beta carotene from the carrots.

Lentil Vegetable Soup

1/2 cup split red lentils rinsed
1 large sweet potato
4 medium carrots peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
1 Cup finely chopped onion
2-3 Garlic cloves
2 1/2 Cup vegetable stock
21/2 Cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil

Spices or no spices. You have options.

1.Chop up the onion carrots and celery into tiny baby bite size pieces. I don't know about you but i love taking pictures of veggies cut up into tiny pieces. Makes me feel accomplished. 

2. Sauté onion, carrots and celery in oil for 5 min.
3. Add lentils, sweet potato and the stock.
4. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 20 min.

You can puree this for younger babies or leave it chunky for the ones with teeth.

Makes 10-12 portions.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment