Wednesday, July 13, 2011

This Is Not A Joke

I have the BEST salmon pattie recipe EVER. 
They told me it wouldnt work, they told me it was too fishy, they told me to start with a white fish for a baby's first fish. I say take your white fish and shove it. He inhaled two patties and was licking his fingers clean. I win!
I was doing some research yesterday and I had a slight panic attack when I read the importance of omega-3s on a babys brain development for the first year. I haven't given my baby fish yet and I was on a mission for him to eat salmon. I ran to Citarella, the overly priced great quality store in nyc and picked up a lb of wild salmon for $40. Either I havent made any salmon since the last rise of inflation or something is up here. $40?! Anything for my baby, but really. Hows a girl supposed to feed not only her baby but her whole family wild salmon?!
First lets talk about the importance of wild anything. Wild means the fish are not harvested, or farmed. They are free to roam the ocean until the end of their 4 year cycle of life (bye nemo!) at which point they are harvested. Being wild most importantly means they are free of contaminants like PCB and other dioxins. Just read that as bad shit you dont want to feed anyone you love. Another huge reason to chose wild over farm is the nutritional bang for your buck your getting. I read that farmed fish might have more omega-3s which is misleading to someone who doesn't read full sentences because right after that it said that was due to the omega 6 rich fish meal and oil they feed them for mass harvesting. Gross. 
Most importantly, the high levels of omega-6 in farm raised fish blunt the benefits of omega-3 and cause silent inflammation which leads to all sorts of bad diseases later in life like cancer, diabetes, heart disease and a few other disasters. Wild salmon also has a truck load of vitamin D, something which research suggests we need a lot more of these days to reduce the risk of fractures, osteoperosis and of course the bastard cancer. For you visual people, a cup of milk contains 100IU of vitamin D where a 3.5 serving of wild solkeye salmon contains 600-700IU. I think thats lovely.
So now that we know the truth and benefits of eating wild, you would be crazy to eat farmed anything, but we still have the problem of dollars and cents. That's what it all boils down to in this greedy world. In comes www.vitalchoice.com.
For the new york city price of 4 servings you get 6 servings of wild Alaskan fish delivered to your door. They catch the wild fish at their prime, flash freeze dry them immediately after harvesting and ship them to you packed in dry ice. You can tell people at parties that you get your fish flown in from Alaska, how badass.

3 comments:

  1. both clever and smartly informative !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michal,
    This is Randy from Vital Choice checking in to thank you for the informative post and VC endorsement. I'd be happy to answer any questions you or others may have about any of our products. By the way, in case you hadn't yet seen it, I also wanted to call your attention to the page on our site dedicated to moms and babies at www.healthymom.com. Thanks again!
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Randy!
    Im so happy to have so many options of salmon from vital choice but I have to say that im a little unsure of what to order. I am leaning towards the king because of the high levels of omega-3, but then the silver might be better because of its mild taste.
    Which salmon do you recommend that everyone in the family will love?

    ReplyDelete