Monday, June 20, 2011

Broccoli, Sweet Potato and Kale

I don’t like fighting with my baby. For one, he’s really cute and two he has really quick reflexes. After some messy disasters, I realized that he will almost never eat anything that is completely green. He just doesn’t like it and I cant force it. He always needs a hit of sweetness, whether its fruit or vegetables. I love adding sweet potato to any green concoction because I know it’ll make the puree bearable and my job of getting the food in his mouth a lot easier.

Did you know that broccoli packs the most nutritional punch out of any vegetable. Why did it take me 26 years to know that? I would have been eating broccoli by the pound.
Broccoli has vitamin a and c, mega fiber, folic acid and calcium which is good for baby’s like mine who don’t eat dairy yet.
Sweet potatoes, like carrots have high beta-carotene levels. This helps with inflammation, which leads to all diseases later on in life.
Kale is also major in the department of antioxidants, anti inflammation, vitamins K, A and C and is a super green veggie all around.
I have to be honest. I've never cooked kale in my life. When I first took it home I washed it 6 times, smelled it over and over again and didn't touch it for two days. Yes, I was scared of the kale. Apparently its just like spinach, only curly and more thick. I don’t love it, but it worked.

This recipe is also a twofer. I didn’t feel like making dinner for my husband, so I added olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper with a sprinkly of parmesan cheese to the leftover puree, boiled some quinoa pasta and dinner was served.

Don’t judge me.

Broccoli, Sweet Potato and Kale

About 2 cups broccoli
Half of a medium sweet potato
1 cup kale
1 cup water

1. Cube the broccoli and sweet potato
2. Steam the broccoli and sweet potato in your baby food maker.
3. Wilt the kale in water for 1 min.

Combine everything in your baby food maker and puree.
Add more water to get the consistency you like.




3 comments:

  1. Love the part about the Kale!! Funny. Great info!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it weird that these blogs are teaching me a lot about food for myself too?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! Yum can't wait for my next baby...oh wait, yes I can

    ReplyDelete