Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chicken In The Pot


Im a big fan of dishes that you cook in one pot. What could be easier than throwing shit in a pot? Opening a jar, you say?
Right, well we don’t do that here.
This weekend we were away from home and I had a little incident with frozen pureed chicken soup going sour. I shredded some roasted chicken we had for dinner the night before and fed it to my baby. He loved it.
He was chewing, picking up pieces by himself, throwing it everywhere. I was very proud. I have given him pieces of soft food before, but until now i’ve always pureed his chicken because he’s a baby and I baby him. 
He’ll be 36 saying “Ma, I have 84 teeth, stop cutting my steak for me.” But thats what mothers do.

Chicken Carrots Sweet Potato Peas and Brown Rice

4 medium sized carrots
1/2 of a large sweet potato
1/2 cup of peas
1/2 onion
2 chicken breast cut into bite sized chunks
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1. Cut the veggies into bite size pieces, like so.

2. Heat the oil in medium pot
3. Add onions until transluscent
4. Brown the chicken for 5 minutes
5. Add the veggies for 5 minutes
6. Add the uncooked rinsed rice and stir it in for a minute before adding liquid.
7. Add 2 cups of chicken stock
8. Add 2 cups of water
9. Bring to a boil
10. Cover and put in oven at 375 for 40 min.


You can feed this as is to older babies, pulse for a coarse chop or completely puree.
This made enough for 8 baby servings and I served 3 full bowls for dinner.

1 comment: