Thursday, June 23, 2011

Halloween Hangover


I call this one Halloween Hangover because its completely orange and I like the word hangover.
Usually I make lentil vegetable soup and it’s a big winner but I didn’t have all the vegetables and I was too lazy to go to the store. The night before I tried red lentils, sweet potato and brown rice and it was thick enough to use for brick paste.

Red lentils cook faster, are tastier and are more mushy than other lentils, so I chose these. They're a prime source of protein, fiber, iron, antioxidants and are heart healthy.
I’m thinking about starting red meat next week, but until then I sleep well at night knowing that he gets his protein and iron fix from this dish.

Red Lentils Carrots and Sweet Potato

1/4 cup red lentils rinsed thoroughly
3 medium carrots cubed
Half of a medium sweet potato cubed
4 ice cubes of homemade chicken stock – will post recipe next week
1/2 cup water


Bring to a boil
Simmer 20 min
Add water if you think it needs it
Puree

No comments:

Post a Comment