Friday, June 17, 2011

Golden Beets Carrots Apple and Quinoa


I wanted to create a sweet quinoa dish as a new spin on the old oatmeal and fruit purees. Apples are such a good sweetener and they let me sneak in veggies like carrots and beets. I’m super excited about him eating quinoa, maybe a little too excited...but its just so damn good for you! Start by making a small batch, test it out see if your baby likes it before your stock your freezer for the month. 
I think its really important not only to know that your food tastes good but to know how its helping you. 
I used golden beets which have the same health benefits of red beets, because they have a milder sweeter taste. Beets have potassium, vitamin c, iron, amino acids and fiber. Winner. 
Apples are amazeballs as well, apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Carrots are bananas for you, they are packed with beta-carotenes and are an antioxidant. Another reason why I like to load my baby with carrots is that my husband and I are blind as bats, and yes your mother was right...eat your carrots, theyre good for your eyes!
Saving the best for last....quinoa. 
Quinoa is an ancient grain that the Incas called gold and fed to their warriors. Trust me, they knew what was up. Quinoa is packed with protein, high in fiber and high in iron. Its such a high quality food that eating quinoa is the equivalent of eating meat! Double winner.

Golden Beets Carrots Apple and Quinoa

3 small golden beets, peeled and cubed
1 apple, peeled and cubed
3 small carrots, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water

1.Cube the beets, apple and carrots and place in small glass bowls on a color coordinated tray. Just kidding. That’s only for crazies like me. Throw all of it into the steamer basket. Reserve the cooking water.


2. Rinse the quinoa well so it doesn’t taste like batteries.
3. Bring water to a boil and add the quinoa.
4. Puree the fruit and veggies first, then add the quinoa. Slowly add in the reserved water until you get the consistency you like. 


I found this to be thick so I used all of the water.

Makes 6 servings.


Helpful Hint: Do not fill up freezer containers completely, leave a spot of space. I think food expands when it’s frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment