Friday, June 24, 2011

Egg Yolks: A True Story

Last week, I decided it was time my baby had some egg yolk. Egg yolk is a great source of protein and iron but the egg white can be highly allergenic and shouldn’t be given to a baby until he’s a year old.
Normally I try new foods with him. Take his temperature as he chews, monitor his breathing, check his pupils, y’know NORMAL behavior.
This time I thought “ok, lets try and not be neurotic” maybe my life would be easier if I delegated. So in my best attempt, I left specific instructions with my nanny and left to run an errand. Tra la la, 2 hours later i’m home.
“Hi baby, I missed you!” Nanny proudly marches over with a big smile on her face and says “Michelle, he finished todo egg!”
Huh? TODO?
I'm not fluent in Spanish but I know what todo means.
She fed him the entire hard-boiled egg.
Cue panic attack.
He seemed fine but I stripped him down to check out the goods and his legs were covered in spots. The spots were gone by the next day but I learned my lesson. I’m going to try egg yolk again today, but this time ill be the one feeding him.
Moral of the story: Test out new foods yourself. Leave the pupil checker out.

No comments:

Post a Comment