Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chicken Sweet Potato Apple and Quinoa Patties

I found a recipe online for chicken burgers and as with all the recipes I use, I tweaked it to fit my standards. The original recipe called for quinoa as the thickener. I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, so I made half with the quinoa and half with breadcrumbs.
I went to my local store to pick up the breadcrumbs and found crap. Did you ever look at the ingredient list on a major brand of breadcrumbs? It’s a paragraph long! My theory is if its more than two lines of ingredients, don’t buy it. Why can’t they just make things simple, pure and not filled with chemicals and words I cant pronounce? Off to the specialty store I went where of course I found plain simple no fuss no muss 3 ingredient breadcrumbs. Eating healthy is about making conscious choices. Check out the ingredients of a product before you give it to your baby or yourself.

Chicken Sweet Potato Apple Quinoa Patties

1 lb ground chicken
1 medium sweet potato
1 apple
1/2 medium yellow onion
2 egg yolks beaten

I divided the mixture and used quinoa in one and bread crumbs in the other.
They both came out delicious, i’m going to use quinoa in the future because of its health benefits.

1/4 cup rinsed and cooked quinoa
1/4 cup breadcrumbs

1. Peel the sweet potato, apple and onion. Grate them together into a bowl. 


2. Add the ground chicken, beaten egg yolks, quinoa or breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly.
3. Make 1/2 inch thick patties and put on a baking sheet with baking paper underneath.
4. Bake at 375 for 10-15 min each side, depending on thickness.


You can freeze them uncooked to use later. 
Pulse for younger babies.
Makes 12 patties.

3 comments: